Shiitake Mushroom Jerky
Holy shiitake! That's some good looking jerky. 😍
Make your own mushroom jerky at home.
Prep Time: 10 minutes + overnight marinade
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut into 1/2-inch slices or left whole if smaller
Add coconut aminos, vinegar, chili garlic paste, smoked paprika and pepper to a large resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag and toss the ingredients together until combined. Add mushrooms to the bag. Reseal the bag and toss together until mushrooms look coated in the marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 250 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the mushrooms from the plastic bag using tongs and place them on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. When transferring mushrooms, allow excess marinade to drip off before adding to the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan. Mushrooms should not be touching. Bake for one hour. Remove from the oven and flip mushrooms, using tongs. Cook for an additional 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of your mushrooms. The mushrooms will shrink and appear dry when done. Let cool before storing in an airtight container.
Author: Chelsey Amer, MS, RD